9/07/2004

Bye Bye Love...

Journalism has been a passion and profession for almost 15 years in the quarter of my life. I made the best of friends, worthy enemies and not-so-kind competitors. To all of whom, I owe a lot! From being an internee, errand-boy-cum-trainee, writer, sub-editor, I relished various roles in the same field.

It is hard to imagine what else I would have done to earn my cheese and bread. I had the good fortune of seeing dreamy-eyed cubs, inspiring career journos, op-ed writers, frustrated sub-editors, and business scribes in the industry.

From awe to boredom to stress, I experienced it all. Well, so did I think!In the last two years, when most of my experienced colleagues left journalism for brighter and "better paying pastures", I stood up like a upholder of ethics and journalistic conscience. I never missed an opportunity to give my two-pence worth of criticism on these quitters as I loved to call them.

Although I was getting just above peanuts at the end of my month, it helped me sail through the month and even leave me with decent savings. And so, I never took up any "paying" options that came my way. I have no regrets at all!

Today I am in a different place, and am looking at taking up a different job on the other side of journalism. What is it? That is not important. The truth is that I have untied the laces of my shoes, and am ready to get into new ones. Almost. I cannot feel anything. It is just a job. There is no love, passion, or the feeling of belonging. What is there, is a drive, that tells me I should take this as a challenge to run an entirely new race.

I am enthusiastic, I only wish my heart that is still stuck somewhere in 90's ideals, dreams and aspirations, was back in my person with me.

PS: I abstained from blogging because I was at loss for words to describe what I have been going through.

No comments: